Free Virus Fixes & the Best Free Virus and Spyware Removal Software
Free Virus Fixes
Paying someone for virus removal can be expensive as it can take a lot of time. Since you’re here, you likely need a low cost or free virus fixes. Since you’re not paying for this advice, use it at your own discretion, and be sure to have a backup of your data first. This discussion will get technical and can easily get confusing if you are not familiar with computers and troubleshooting. You may want to have someone else in the company go through this, or pay someone to clean-up the infected PC to save you the time and hassle of doing this yourself. If your infected PC is on your network, it should be isolated so other computers do not get infected. With the disclaimer out of the way, we need to categorize your system:
Can you boot into Windows (in normal mode) and have internet access? If yes, then see our Online virus scan page.
If your computer is not infected with a virus, but you want free antivirus program to help keep it protected, you may want to look at ( & be sure to read the end users license agreement):
Download Top Rated Free Antivirus SoftwarePanda Cloud Antivirus 1.1
AVG anti-virus Freeware
Microsoft free virus protection "Microsoft Security Essentials"
Avira makes a free antivirus program for personal use antivirus program
Free antivirus for home & non-commercial use made by Avast
If you cannot boot into Windows as normal, can you boot into safe mode? If yes, select "Safemode with Networking" and go here: Free full virus remover download
How do I boot into safe mode? (When the computer is booting (before you see the Windows logo), press and hold your "F8 Key" which should bring up the "Windows Advanced Options Menu")
If you cannot boot into Windows or Safemode, you have two options.
Option one, is to download a bootable anti-virus CD (or program for a USB stick/drive)
AVG Free virus removal - bootable anti-virus CD or bootable antivirus software for USB key
The other option is to turn the computer off, remove the hard drive and install the drive either in an external drive tray (attaches via USB), or connect the drive as a secondary drive in a system setup to remove viruses & malware. If you’re in an office, you can select the least used computer (or preferably an old spare computer) and before connecting the infected drive do the following:
- If Antivirus software is already installed on this computer, make sure you run a manual update.
- If you can get this computer access to the internet but separate this computer from our other computers on the network, it is recommended that you do so.
- Download both Superantispyware and Malwarebytes anti-malware.
- Download any of the following free antivirus programs (32 bit trial versions) if your system that you will be using to scan for viruses doesn’t have antivirus:
- After going through the installation instructions for the antivirus you selected, run through the installation of Superantispyware, have it update and run a complete scan.
- Once Superantispyware completes, quarantine all the items it found (you can allow the cookies that are found if you prefer).
- Run a complete scan with the antivirus program you selected, and quarantine/delete any viruses, malware or spyware found.
- Be sure to run a full scan more than once (preferably after a restart). We will often run scans with different antiviruses to ensure a system is clean. For example:
- SuperAnti-spyware, remove all bad files found.
- Restart, & run antivirus program 1 (which ever you have installed –run a full scan) if finds anything, have it remove it.
- Next, try a free online virus scan –again, doing a complete scan.
- It wouldn’t hurt to do another scan with SuperAntispyware, or Malwarebtyes’ antimalware to be sure no residual malware or spyware is present.
- Systems that are important should be backed up. We recommend Storagecraft’s Shadowprotect Desktop edition. Images (backups) of a computer can be stored on an external drive, and scheduled to run automatically.
If you have trouble running the antivirus, or anti spyware, feel free to contact us and let us know what is occurring. Please be sure to include your name, contact email and phone number and the name of the company you work for. You can contact us using the form below:
feel free to call us at: 907-375-8310
If your scans find a particular virus and was unable to remove it, please be sure to carefully document the name of the virus, the antivirus program you ran (and what version your antivirus program is).
Are you looking for specific free virus fixes?
Google redirect virus removal - Either SUPERAntiSpyware or Malwarebytes should be able to detect & remove.
Security tool virus removal - A decent walkthrough for removing this can be found at BleepingComputer. You will need SUPERAntiSpyware or Malwarebytes and Rkill to remove for the Security Tool Virus removal. You may want to download these to a USB drive from a working computer and connect the USB drive to the infected PC to install - see the BleepingComputer link for instructions. If this doesn’t work for you, please let us know.
Additional Free virus fixes and specific virus fixes by Symantec.